Genetics of Common Conditions:
- Inheritance of IQ, Height, Diabetes, Hypertension, Eye color, Hair color etc.
- Human Multifactorial Inheritance – Polygenes plus Environmental factors
- SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) and CNV (Copy Number Variants)
- How do 23andMe, Ancestry DNA and National Geographic tests work to determine your family origins…..PSC (Population Specific Common) SNPs
- How can crime scene DNA analysis be used to solve ‘Cold Case’ crimes:
- Genetic Genealogy…..SNP Phenotyping…..Ancestry and Kinship Analysis
Human Stem Cells and Making Human Organs in the Laboratory
- Human Embryology – One cell forms a fetus, with 220 somatic cells, in 49 days
- Differentiation – a natural one way street to form every human somatic cell
- Reprogramming – reverse the one way street – somatic cells revert to iPS
- iPS (induced Pluripotent Stem) cells can make any human cell in the lab.
- produce new dopamine neurons for Parkinson Disease
- produce new pancreatic beta cells for Type I Diabetes
- produce new motor neurons for Lou Gehrig’s Disease
- produce new medium spiny neurons for Huntington Disease
- Induce iPS become an eye, kidney, liver or brain – human brains in lab!
CRISPR Update…..Human Gene editing
- Adaptive immune system discover in bacteria and Archaea – CRISPR
- Protects microbes from harmful viruses – Seeks and Destroys virus DNA
- CRISPR under laboratory control can be used to destroy or fix any DNA
- DNA ‘Knock Outs’ inactivate a harmful gene
- DNA ‘Knock Ins’ can repair a mutated gene – fix a harmful mutation
- SHERLOCK is a CRISPR mechanism for diagnosis of harmful viruses.
- deadly bacteria and life threatening tumors
- Editing human zygotes to permanently correct a genetic disease?
- Gene editing for human gene THERAPY and/or ENHANCEMENT